News

Woolwich contractor prosecuted by Health and Safety Executive for illegal work on gas appliances

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - Health and Safety Executive

A self-employed worker has been sentenced for safety failings after carrying out gas work without being Gas Safe registered.

Maidstone Magistrates’ Court heard how Israel Jackson, a self-employed plumbing and heating engineer from Woolwich, South East London, had carried out work on gas appliances when he was not Gas Safe registered.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told the court that his vehicle had a gas safe logo on it and he filled in his gas safe registration number on a landlord’s records when his number was not valid.

Further investigation found he had been warned previously by HSE to stop gas work in 2011, following the poor fitting of a gas fired boiler.

Israel Jackson, trading as Plumbwise Heatwise of Sandbach Place, Woolwich was given a twelve month community order with a condition that he undertakes a 40-day ‘rehabilitation activity requirement’ (RAR) after pleading guilty to an offence under Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Robert Hassell said:

Every year approximately 11 people die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that are not properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

Employers and customers should ensure qualifications are checked prior to hiring and the expiry dates noted.

For more information about Gas safety visit the website at: www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic

Total Landlord Insurance Advert