News

Two people have died from suspected CO poisoning in an unlicensed HMO in Edgware

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Two people have died and five people have been taken to hospital following what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning at a private rented property in Edgware.

Police were called to a house on Bacon Lane, Edgware at 1.30pm on Sunday 8 April 2018 following reports of two unresponsive males.

According to London Fire Brigade, firefighters from stations including Wembley, Stanmore and Mill Hill were called to reports of raised levels of carbon monoxide a few minutes later.

Fire crews swept the house to check for any raised chemical levels and then ventilated the property. Sadly, two men, aged 35 and 42 years old, were found deceased at the address.

According to the Metropolitan Police, the deaths are being treated as unexplained and post-mortem examinations will be held in due course. It is believed that there may have been a carbon monoxide leak at the address.

The Police have described the property as a ‘multiple occupancy address’ and the five people taken to hospital have since been discharged.

It is understood detectives, in conjunction with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), are investigating two unexplained deaths. The Police have said there have been no arrests and enquiries continue.

Meanwhile, it appears the property may have been occupied as a licensable but unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). In Harrow, all private rented properties occupied by three or more people who are not all related and share the property need to be licensed.

A spokesperson from Harrow Council told London Property Licensing:

We will be taking action against the landlord for operating an unlicensed HMO”.

For more information about property licensing in Harrow visit: www.londonpropertylicensing.co.uk/harrow

You can also read our free guide to gas safety published in conjunction with Gas Safe Register, available here: www.londonpropertylicensing.co.uk

To find out more on the requirement to provide carbon monoxide alarms, visit: www.londonpropertylicensing.co.uk/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms

For all the latest news and events, you can sign up for the free London Property Licensing newsletter here

Sign up to our London Property Licensing newsletter Central Housing Group Advert Total Landlord Insurance Advert